Thursday, February 7, 2019

Little Changes Can Mean Big Improvement

It was just 1/4 inch.  But it needed to go.   My hair reaches a certain point in growth where my bangs are too long, dangle into my eyes (or just above them) and really get on my nerves.   So today after I hopped out of the shower, I combed my wet hair, grabbed some sharp scissors and snipped just a tiny 1/4 inch from the bangs.  Just the bangs.  Everything else was suiting me just fine.  



In that quick moment, one little change made a big difference styling my hair.  After I dried my hair,  my bangs which had been hanging precipitously close to my eyes were back in their lane, behaving quite nicely.    All was right again.  

And that is how I came to think about how little changes can mean a lot in our every day lives.  Sometimes it is a bad habit we need to give up.  Other times it is something we need to add into our lives.   So here are some things to think about as you read this.   How can I do something little but that might make a big difference?

Incorporating change (big or little) takes thought and intention.    You may need to make reminders to yourself or mentally tie a string around your finger.   You can write about your day and whether you were successful in making your change in a daily journal or a bullet journal.    Happy planners are all the rage these days and many people track their progress in that.   Others just as happily take note but never keep track at all.    

Some things you might consider for change in your life might include being more active.    Taking daily walks does not mean you walk on a 10 mile hike.   It could be as simple as a walk around the block.  Or heading to your nearest super store and taking a climate controlled walk through the aisles.  Many communities have lovely parks and trails so not only will you get in walking, but you'll have nice scenery, too.    Get a walking buddy and make it a regular thing.

Maybe you need to destress or disconnect from our too connected world.    Taking a break from all of your devices is not as easy as it sounds, however.    So much of our lives is controlled by our phones, computers and other electronics.      We even have cameras in our door bells, all around our house and I honestly can't think of any place we can go any more without being recorded.    But, with intention, and a plan you can put down the device and do something else.    No, not pick up another device.    Find a place to relax, have a cup of tea, relax and just unwind.   We don't do enough of that and it is a good and necessary thing to do.

Which brings me to meditation.   Some people find  that incorporating a regular time to meditate and reflect brings peace into their busy life.  If you are a person of faith, you probably have a Holy Book that is meaningful to you and can offer passages of comfort or enlightenment for nearly any occasion or issue.    Even those who follow no particular religious path can find plenty to think about or to think UPON.    One does not need to lead the life of a monk to get these benefits.   Just a few minutes at the beginning of your day or at the end may be just what you need to quiet your mind.  

Find a creative outlet.   This can be many different things.    For some it is writing.  Maybe in a journal, a dairy, letters or emails to friends and family.  Maybe you've always wanted to write a novel or write poetry.  Opportunities abound.   Even letters to the editor of your local paper give you an outlet to express your opinion and make your voice heard.  Others find their creativity in art or artistic endeavors.    Painting, sketching or working in clay might be the thing that captures your interest.   I love doing collage with scraps of paper, fiber and ephemera I collect.   I also love taking photographs and have way too many stored on my computer and in cyberspace on Carbonite.  I am presently looking at a project using my own photographs as the ephemera.  My oldest grandson, Gavin, is a musician.   He finds great joy in just taking his guitar, getting in a quiet place and composing or just noodling around on his guitar.  He might write a new song.  Or he might just find joy in playing a piece of music he has known for years.  The main thing is it is his choice and he chooses how to spend that time.  

Maybe cooking is your thing.    For  my mother, nothing meant more to her than to make a big pot of jambalaya for her friends and family.    The smell of the spices she used would fill the house and everyone knew they were in for a real treat.   She put her heart and soul into making it.    I can still remember her smile when she announced that it was done and we should all come get a plate or bowl. Never diminish the effect of making a well loved pot of gumbo or a delicious layer cake that is someone's favorite.    The recipient, of course, loves to get it, but the cook gets something in return.   They get the joy of providing love on a plate.  

I've given you some things to think about that might make a good  place to start making changes in your life. I'm willing to bet you can think of many other little things you can do or NOT do that will have a positive influence on your life and maybe the lives of others, too.    What will be your "quarter inch trim"?  

If you are so inclined, please leave a comment.    I really want to hear your thoughts and ideas!

Happy Trails until next time,
Marcia

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post! Those little changes can really make a difference. I deleted Twitter from my phone and found that it helped my disposition and allowed me to do other, more edifying things! Rich and I also started a year or two ago having a cup of coffee together first thing every morning. It's a wonderful way to check in before getting started on our lists of things to do.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a message! We want to hear from you and what you think. THANKS!